- the aggregate of surrounding things, conditions, or influences; surroundings; milieu.
- Ecology. the air, water, minerals, organisms, and all other external factors surrounding and affecting a given organism at any time.
- the social and cultural forces that shape the life of a person or a population.
- Computers. the hardware or software configuration, or the mode of operation, of a computer system: In a time-sharing environment, transactions are processed as they occur.
- an indoor or outdoor setting that is characterized by the presence of environmental art that is itself designed to be site-specific.
Origin of environment
Synonyms for environment
Examples from the Web for environmentally
Contemporary Examples of environmentally
But environmentally minded donors draw the line in different places.Dem Donors’ Lysistrata Moment on Climate Change
September 18, 2014
“Neutralization will be conducted in a safe and environmentally sound manner,” Kirby said in a statement.Syria’s Chemical Weapons Arrive in Notorious Mafia Port
Barbie Latza Nadeau, Christopher Dickey
July 1, 2014
Can one really create an environmentally sustainable city without changing the behavior of its citizens?How Big Data Is Entering Every Corner of Our Lives
July 26, 2013
We already know that eating meat is environmentally unsustainable, so why not get all our protein from insects?Printing Your Own Food
May 22, 2013
We need a center-right that is culturally modern, environmentally responsible, and economically inclusive.More Conservative Denialism
February 27, 2013
Historical Examples of environmentally
But emotionally and environmentally, you simply don't add up.The Trouble with Telstar
To keep our economy growing, we also need reliable supplies of affordable, environmentally responsible energy.
And so as we continue to diversify our fuel supply, we must step up domestic oil production in environmentally sensitive ways.State of the Union Addresses of George W. Bush
George W. Bush
- external conditions or surroundings, esp those in which people live or work
- ecology the external surroundings in which a plant or animal lives, which tend to influence its development and behaviour
- the state of being environed; encirclement
- computing an operating system, program, or integrated suite of programs that provides all the facilities necessary for a particular applicationa word-processing environment
Word Origin and History for environmentally
- The totality of circumstances surrounding an organism or group of organisms, especially the combination of external physical conditions that affect and influence the growth, development, and survival of organisms.
- All of the biotic and abiotic factors that act on an organism, population, or ecological community and influence its survival and development. Biotic factors include the organisms themselves, their food, and their interactions. Abiotic factors include such items as sunlight, soil, air, water, climate, and pollution. Organisms respond to changes in their environment by evolutionary adaptations in form and behavior.