- pain in the chest or side.
- Also called epidemic pleurodynia, devil's grip. an epidemic disease caused by a coxsackievirus, characterized by sudden chest pain, mild fever, and recurrence on the third day of these symptoms.
Origin of pleurodynia
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- pain in the muscles between the ribs
C19: from New Latin, from pleuro- + Greek -odynia, from odynē pain
- An epidemic disease caused by a coxsackievirus, characterized by paroxysmal pain in the lower chest and accompanied by fever, headache, and malaise.Bornholm disease devil's grip diaphragmatic pleurisy epidemic myalgia epidemic myositis
- Pleuritic pain in the chest.
- Paroxysmal pain and soreness of the muscles between the ribs, usually due to muscular rheumatism.pleuralgia
- Epidemic pleurodynia.