- a city in and the capital of Vosges, in NE France.
- a range of low mountains in NE France: highest peak, 4668 feet (1423 meters).
- a department in NE France. 2279 sq. mi. (5905 sq. km). Capital: Épinal.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for epinal
The mulct to be imposed upon the parish of Epinal was never exacted.The Twilight of the Gods, and Other Tales
From Nancy, by way of Epinal, we may easily reach the heart of the Vosges.East of Paris
In the Epinal Glossary the English words are thus relatively few.The evolution of English lexicography
James Augustus Henry Murray
To the north of Epinal, and about ten miles west of Nancy, is the third fortress—Toul.The Childrens' Story of the War, Volume 2 (of 10)
James Edward Parrott
After M. Goudin, on this occasion, there came two maiden ladies from Epinal who were lodging at Granpere for change of air.The Golden Lion of Granpere
- a mountain range in E France, west of the Rhine valley. Highest peak: 1423 m (4672 ft)
- a department of NE France, in Lorraine region. Capital: Épinal. Pop: 381 277 (2003 est). Area: 5903 sq km (2302 sq miles)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012