- having the structure of an epoxide.
- Also called epoxy resin. any of a class of resins derived by polymerization from epoxides: used chiefly in adhesives, coatings, electrical insulation, solder mix, and castings.
- to bond (two materials) by means of an epoxy resin.
Origin of epoxy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of, consisting of, or containing an oxygen atom joined to two different groups that are themselves joined to other groupsepoxy group
- of, relating to, or consisting of an epoxy resin
- short for epoxy resin
Word Origin for epoxy
C20: from epi- + oxy- ²
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Any of various usually thermosetting resins capable of forming tight cross-linked polymer structures characterized by toughness, strong adhesion, and low shrinkage, used especially in surface coatings and adhesives.
- Containing an oxygen atom bound to two different atoms linked in some other way, especially a compound containing a ring formed by one oxygen atom and two carbon atoms.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Any of various artificial resins made of chains of epoxide rings. Epoxies are tough, very adhesive, and resistant to chemicals. They are used to make protective coatings and glues. Also called epoxy resin
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
A high-strength adhesive, often made of two different materials that must be mixed together just prior to use.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.