- pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct.
- being in accordance with the rules or standards for right conduct or practice, especially the standards of a profession: It was not considered ethical for physicians to advertise.
- (of drugs) sold only upon medical prescription.
Origin of ethical
Synonyms for ethical
Antonyms for ethical
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- in accordance with principles of conduct that are considered correct, esp those of a given profession or group
- of or relating to ethics
- (of a medicinal agent) available legally only with a doctor's prescription or consent
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Of, relating to, or dealing with ethics.
- Being in accordance with the accepted principles of right and wrong that govern the conduct of a profession.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.