verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
- to make or become even, smooth, or flat: The wrinkles will even out when the suit dries.
- to become equal, balanced, stable, etc.: optimistic that the situation would even out eventually.
TAKE THIS QUIZ TO SEE WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT 2ND-3RD GRADE VOCAB FROM BOOKS!
Idioms for even
Origin of even1
OTHER WORDS FROM evene·ven·er, noune·ven·ly, adverbe·ven·ness, noun
Words nearby even
Definition for evens (2 of 3)
Origin of even2
Definition for evens (3 of 3)
noun, plural E·vens, (especially collectively) E·ven for 1.
Origin of Even
Example sentences from the Web for evens
Washington evens it up by shooting Wahlberg in the leg, then throws an arm around him as they set off together.Hollywood, Shootings, and ‘2 Guns’: When Is Stylized Violence Obscene?|Michael Daly|July 30, 2013|DAILY BEAST
I've played fast and loose with you, Madge, and I fancy your playing fast and loose only evens things up.Theft|Jack London
Up till now, the betting called after each round had come to ‘ten to one on Heenan’; it fell at once to evens.Tracks of a Rolling Stone|Henry J. Coke
Gus said with infinite slyness: "Look here, I'll bet you evens Biffen's don't pull off the final."Acton's Feud|Frederick Swainson
The run on the odds gave up, and I went in and won twice running on the evens.
So far, the betting as to whether de la Cloche and the Naples pretender were the same man or not is at evens.The Valet's Tragedy and Other Stories|Andrew Lang
British Dictionary definitions for evens (1 of 3)
British Dictionary definitions for evens (2 of 3)
- (of a number) divisible by two
- characterized or indicated by such a numbermaps are on the even pages Compare odd (def. 4)
- a bet in which the winnings are the same as the amount staked
- (as modifier)the even-money favourite
Derived forms of evenevener, nounevenly, adverbevenness, noun
Word Origin for even
British Dictionary definitions for evens (3 of 3)
Word Origin for even
Scientific definitions for evens
Idioms and Phrases with evens
In addition to the idioms beginning with even
- even money
- even so
- break even
- never give a sucker an even break
- on an even keel