[ fan-bak ]
/ ˈfænˌbæk /


(of a chair) having a fan-shaped back.
(of a Windsor chair or the like) having a back of vertical spindles fanning out from seat to upper rail.


Can You Ace This Quiz About “Compliment” vs. “Complement”?
Take this quiz to see if you really know the difference between “compliment” and “complement"!
Question 1 of 11
“Compliment” and “complement” had a shared meaning a long time ago, but today they are no longer interchangeable.

Origin of fanback Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2020