- lacking the normal mental powers.
- Medicine/Medical. (no longer in technical use) mentally deficient.
- stupid or foolish; not sensible: feeble-minded remarks.
- Archaic. lacking firmness of mind; indecisive.
Origin of feeble-minded
First recorded in 1525–35
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for feebleminded
From this Glenwood home for the feebleminded she was released.Twenty Years a Detective in the Wickedest City in the World
Clifton R. Wooldridge
Marriage with a feebleminded person not only should be advised against, but should be prohibited by law.
A feebleminded man has much fewer chances for marriage than has a feebleminded woman.
Of the feebleminded, there are 20,199 in the institutions for that class of defectives.
So far, I have escaped the penitentiary and the home for feebleminded.
- lacking in intelligence; stupid
- mentally defective
- lacking decision; irresolute
Word Origin and History for feebleminded
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper