- existing in a natural state, as animals or plants; not domesticated or cultivated; wild.
- having reverted to the wild state, as from domestication: a pack of feral dogs roaming the woods.
- of or characteristic of wild animals; ferocious; brutal.
Origin of feral1
- causing death; fatal.
- funereal; gloomy.
Origin of feral2
Related Words for feralferocious, animal, brutal, fierce, raging, savage, uncultivated, wild, undomesticated, tameless
Examples from the Web for feral
Contemporary Examples of feral
Rather, she shows us: that spandex clad ass twerking in the jungle, surrounded by a feral pack of similarly well fed asses?Nicki Minaj’s ‘Anaconda’ Is Too Much Booty for One Man to Handle
August 20, 2014
The “Aduba double-take,” a phenomenon that fans of the show often fall victim to, is truly a testament to her feral performance.‘Orange Is the New Black’ Star Uzo Aduba on Her Journey From Track Phenom to Crazy Eyes
June 11, 2014
But then, with their contorted physiques and feral grimaces they speak directly to the Basquiats.The Art World’s New Gang War
May 1, 2014
Devastated, she climbed with feral intensity, hoping the baby might spontaneously abort.Breaking Mount Everest’s Glass Ceiling
Amanda Padoan, Peter Zuckerman
March 30, 2014
As Jordan Belfort, a charismatic monster of a stockbroker, DiCaprio is a feral beast; the id incarnate.Why Leonardo DiCaprio, Who Wows in ‘The Wolf of Wall Street,’ Deserves to (Finally) Win An Oscar
February 17, 2014
Historical Examples of feral
The instinct for the feral spring could no longer be denied.Victory
What conclusions do you derive from the study of the cases of feral men?Introduction to the Science of Sociology
Robert E. Park
It represents the genius of instinct, swift, feral, and unethical.
These plants are common in both cultivated and feral states.
He becomes an outlaw, to be dealt with as any other feral creature.
- Also: ferine (of animals and plants) existing in a wild or uncultivated state, esp after being domestic or cultivated
- Also: ferine savage; brutal
- Australian derogatory, slang (of a person) tending to be interested in environmental issues and having a rugged, unkempt appearance
- Australian derogatory, slang a person who displays such tendencies and appearance
- Australian slang disgusting
- Australian slang excellent
Word Origin for feral
- astrology associated with death
- gloomy; funereal
Word Origin for feral
c.1600, from Middle French feral "wild," from Latin fera, in phrase fera bestia "wild animal," from ferus "wild" (see fierce).
- Existing in a wild or untamed state, either naturally or having returned to such a state from domestication.