- Geology. iron-bearing: ferruginous clays.
- of the color of iron rust.
Origin of ferruginous
Examples from the Web for ferruginous
Historical Examples of ferruginous
There are sandstones, shales, and grits, with ferruginous joints.British Borneo
W. H. Treacher
The body is dusky indigo blue; the tail and abdomen are ferruginous.Birds of the Indian Hills
On the under side the fore wings are fulvous, tipped with ferruginous.
The hind wings are ferruginous on the under side, mottled with yellow.
The hind wings on this side are ferruginous, mottled with purple.
- (of minerals, rocks, etc) containing irona ferruginous clay
Word Origin for ferruginous
- Associated with or containing iron.
- Having the color of iron rust; reddish-brown.