- a day or time of religious or other celebration, marked by feasting, ceremonies, or other observances: the festival of Christmas; a Roman festival.
- a periodic commemoration, anniversary, or celebration: an annual strawberry festival.
- a period or program of festive activities, cultural events, or entertainment: a music festival.
- gaiety; revelry; merrymaking.
- festal: a festival atmosphere of unrestrained joy.
Origin of festival
Related Words for festivalfair, feast, anniversary, competition, gala, holiday, commemoration, carnival, entertainment, merrymaking, fiesta, fete, treat, jubilee, festivities
Examples from the Web for festival
Contemporary Examples of festival
The ancient Egyptian festival of Wepet Renpet (“opening of the year”) was not just a time of rebirth—it was dedicated to drinking.New Year’s Eve, Babylon Style
December 31, 2014
It is matched six months away by the festival of May Day and by the eve of Walpurgis Night which precedes it.
The people were in one way or another enjoying or experiencing the festival day.
Full disclosure: I co-produce the Festival so, yes, that was a shameless plug.Middle East Goes Monty Python on ISIS
October 29, 2014
She has been a huge fan of the festival for years … and there has always been that traveler crossover with Glastonbury.London’s Pagan Counterculture Kings
October 12, 2014
Historical Examples of festival
This festival, in honour of Dionysus, was observed with great splendour.
This was a common practice during the festival of Thargelia, in honour of Phœbus.
Only these four had kept New England's festival beneath that roof.John Inglefield's Thanksgiving
They wish to celebrate the patriarch's birthday by a festival.P.'s Correspondence (From "Mosses From An Old Manse")
Naturally a great deal was told me concerning this festival from which they had just returned.In the Valley
- a day or period set aside for celebration or feasting, esp one of religious significance
- any occasion for celebration, esp one which commemorates an anniversary or other significant event
- an organized series of special events and performances, usually in one placea festival of drama
- archaic a time of revelry; merrymaking
- (modifier) relating to or characteristic of a festival
Word Origin for festival
Word Origin and History for festival
1580s, from earlier adjective (14c.), from Old French festival "suitable for a feast, solemn, magnificent, joyful, happy," and directly from Medieval Latin festivalis "of a church holiday" (see festivity).