- of or relating to a thread or threads.
- having threads or the like.
Origin of filar
Examples from the Web for filar
Historical Examples of filar
Place the filar micrometer and the stage micrometer in their respective positions.
(c) By means of the Filar Micrometer (Ramsden's micrometer eyepiece).
Transit Instrument, with reversing arrangement, illumination with oil or electric lamp, Filar micrometer with two eye pieces.Astronomical Instruments and Accessories
Wm. Gaertner & Co.
In the filar micrometer two spider lines are parallel, and one intersects them at right angles.
It can be used to measure the angular distance between objects too far apart for the filar micrometer.
- of thread
- (of an optical instrument) having fine threads across the eyepiece forming a reticle or set of cross wires
Word Origin for filar
- Relating to a thread or filament.
- Composed of filaments or threadlike structures.