- the act of forming into threads.
- a reel for drawing off silk from cocoons.
- the reeling of silk from cocoons.
- an establishment for reeling silk.
Origin of filature
Examples from the Web for filature
Historical Examples of filature
Filature, fil′a-tūr, n. the reeling of silk, or the place where it is done.
I came into this filature when quite young, and it has taken me years to find out even the little I know now.
The boys exchanged a smile and passed on into the filature, as the factory where the reeling was done was called.
The quality of raw silk depends, therefore, very much upon the skill and care bestowed upon its filature.
- the act or process of spinning silk, etc, into threads
- the reel used for this
- a place where such spinning or reeling is done