- foul with, characterized by, or having the nature of filth; disgustingly or completely dirty.
- vile; vulgar; obscene: filthy language.
- contemptibly offensive, vile, or objectionable: to treat one's friends in a filthy manner.
- (of money) abundantly supplied (often followed by with): They're filthy with money.
- to make filthy; foul.
- filthy rich, outrageously wealthy; very rich.
Origin of filthy
1. See dirty.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for filthy richeasy, prosperous, well-heeled, well-off, fat, affluent, well-to-do, wealthy, independent, swimming, plush, flush, uptown, bloated, comfortable, gilded, loaded, moneyed, opulent, propertied
- characterized by or full of filth; very dirty or obscene
- offensive or viciousthat was a filthy trick to play
- informal, mainly British extremely unpleasantfilthy weather
- extremely; disgustinglyfilthy rich
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for filthy rich
In early use often hardly more emphatic than the mod. dirty; it is now a violent expression of disgust, seldom employed in polite colloquial speech. [OED]
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper