- the first in counterclockwise order of the bases from home plate.
- the position of the player covering the area of the infield near first base.
THINK YOU’VE GOT A HANDLE ON THIS US STATE NICKNAME QUIZ?
Idioms for first base
- to succeed in the initial phase of a plan or undertaking: His suggestions for labor-saving techniques never got to first base.
- to engage in petting that goes no further than kissing.
Origin of first base
Words nearby first base
Example sentences from the Web for first base
Randy Knorr, an organizational lifer, was promoted to coach first base in place of the recently departed Chip Hale.Nationals decline options for Adam Eaton, Howie Kendrick, Aníbal Sánchez and Eric Thames|Jesse Dougherty|October 28, 2020|Washington Post
Fluoride first entered an American water supply through a rather inelegant technocratic scheme.
In the first episode, an officer is shown video of himself shooting and killing a man.'Babylon' Review: The Dumb Lives of Trigger-Happy Cops|Melissa Leon|January 9, 2015|DAILY BEAST
But since those rosy scenarios were first floated, the California political scene has grown more crowded.
Eric Garcetti succeeded Villaraigosa and has received high marks in his first year and a half on the job.
He sees himself as the first Muslim president of all Europe.Houellebecq’s Incendiary Novel Imagines France With a Muslim President|Pierre Assouline|January 9, 2015|DAILY BEAST
This is the first and principal point at which we can stanch the wastage of teaching energy that now goes on.
He was converted and baptized, and was the first Hebrew instructor at Harvard college.The Every Day Book of History and Chronology|Joel Munsell
And I have not had the first morsel of food prepared from this grain offered me since I reached the shores of Europe.Glances at Europe|Horace Greeley
Now first we shall want our pupil to understand, speak, read and write the mother tongue well.
In treble, second and fourth, the first change is a dodge behind; and the second time the treble leads, there's a double Bob.Tintinnalogia, or, the Art of Ringing|Richard Duckworth and Fabian Stedman
British Dictionary definitions for first base
- the base that a runner must reach safely to score a hit, and the first of the three bases he must reach safely on the way to home plate in order to score a run
- the fielding position nearest this base