- (often initial capital letters) the wife of the U.S. president or a current governor or mayor.
- (often initial capital letters) the wife of the head of any country: the First Lady of Brazil.
- the foremost woman in any art, profession, or the like: first lady of the American theater.
Origin of first lady
First recorded in 1850–55
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for first lady
Contemporary Examples of first lady
- (in the US) the wife or official hostess of a chief executive, esp of a state governor or a president
- a woman considered to be at the top of her profession or artthe first lady of jazz
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012