- (often initial capital letters) the wife of the U.S. president or a current governor or mayor.
- (often initial capital letters) the wife of the head of any country: the First Lady of Brazil.
- the foremost woman in any art, profession, or the like: first lady of the American theater.
Origin of first lady
First recorded in 1850–55
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for first lady
- (in the US) the wife or official hostess of a chief executive, esp of a state governor or a president
- a woman considered to be at the top of her profession or artthe first lady of jazz