- bitten by a flea or fleas.
- infested with fleas.
- shabby; dilapidated; wretched.
- (of a horse) having a light-colored coat with small, dark spots or streaks.
Origin of flea-bitten
Examples from the Web for flea-bitten
Historical Examples of flea-bitten
He led the flea-bitten mare to the cherry tree and tied her there.Second Book of Tales
All that Mallory could do was to admit that he was a flea-bitten what-he-said, and back away.Excuse Me!
You are worse than a dog, you old flinty-faced, flea-bitten scrub.The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle, Volume I
Even the village dogs were there, a legion of snarling, flea-bitten curs.
The flea-bitten gray was all horse, but he had a white-rimmed eye.Partners of Chance
Henry Herbert Knibbs
- bitten by or infested with fleas
- informal shabby or decrepit; mean
- (of the coat of a horse) having reddish-brown spots on a lighter background