- of or relating to Flanders, its people, or their language.
- pertaining to or designating the style of art, especially painting, as developed principally in Flanders and northern France during the 15th century, chiefly characterized by sharply delineated forms, naturalistic proportions, clear, usually cool colors, and the use of perspective.
- the people of Flanders collectively; the Flemings.
- the Dutch language as spoken in northern Belgium: one of the official languages of Belgium. Abbreviation: Flem., Flem
Origin of Flemish
Examples from the Web for flemish
Contemporary Examples of flemish
In elections last May, however, the Flemish separatists won big, which could eventually pave the way to a partitioned nation.Europe’s Secession Panic
Barbie Latza Nadeau
September 18, 2014
The English and their Flemish allies cheered and celebrated the victory in disbelief.The Day the Sea Ran Red: The Battle of Sluys
May 6, 2013
Shakespeare had one, as did the Flemish painter Anthony van Dyck, whom the Van Dyke was named after.What Does a Goatee Say About You?
November 12, 2009
In 1998, Bill Gates was meeting with Flemish Minister and President Van den Brande when he got a pie in the kisser.The 6 Best Pie-in-the-Face Pranks
The Daily Beast Video
October 23, 2009
Historical Examples of flemish
Lucas spoke to him in Flemish to explain his own return with the English prentice.The Armourer's Prentices
Charlotte M. Yonge
It is not a cargo of Flemish skins that is coming for the old man.Micah Clarke
Arthur Conan Doyle
Formaketh, literally adopted from the Flemish vermaect, repairs.Dialogues in French and English
She thanked them volubly in Flemish, which they did not understand.The Boy Scouts on Belgian Battlefields
Lieut. Howard Payson
I pretended to see in this, perhaps, the work of the Flemish States.The Historical Nights' Entertainment
- one of the two official languages of Belgium, almost identical in form with Dutch
- the Flemish (functioning as plural) the Flemings collectively
- of, relating to, or characteristic of Flanders, the Flemings, or their language