- an artificial light so directed or diffused as to give a comparatively uniform illumination over a rather large given area.
- a lamp or projector that produces such a light.
- to light up or illuminate with a floodlight.
Origin of floodlight
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for flood-light
- a broad intense beam of artificial light, esp as used in the theatre or to illuminate the exterior of buildings
- the lamp or source producing such light
- (tr) to illuminate by or as if by a floodlight
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012