- a strait between Florida, Cuba, and the Bahamas, connecting the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic.
- a state in the SE United States between the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico. 58,560 sq. mi. (151,670 sq. km). Capital: Tallahassee. Abbreviation: FL (for use with zip code), Fla.
- Straits of. Also called Florida Straits, Florida Strait. an ocean passage between the Florida Keys and Cuba connecting the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean.
- a state of the southeastern US, between the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico: consists mostly of a low-lying peninsula ending in the Florida Keys a chain of small islands off the coast of S Florida, extending southwest for over 160 km (100 miles). Capital: Tallahassee. Pop: 17 019 068 (2003 est). Area: 143 900 sq km (55 560 sq miles)Abbreviation: Fla., (with zip code) FL
- Straits of Florida a sea passage between the Florida Keys and Cuba, linking the Atlantic with the Gulf of Mexico
Word Origin and History for florida-strait
U.S. state, formerly a Spanish colony, probably from Spanish Pascua florida, literally "flowering Easter," a Spanish name for Palm Sunday, because the peninsula was discovered on that day (March 20, 1513) by the expedition of Spanish explorer Ponce de León (1474-1521). From Latin floridus (see florid).