Origin of fo'c's'le
respelling, reflecting syncope and loss of pre-consonantal r
[fohk-suh l, fawr-kas-uh l, -kah-suh l, fohr-]
- a superstructure at or immediately aft of the bow of a vessel, used as a shelter for stores, machinery, etc., or as quarters for sailors.
- any sailors' quarters located in the forward part of a vessel, as a deckhouse.
- the forward part of the weather deck of a vessel, especially that part forward of the foremast.
Also fo'c's'le, fo'c'sle.
Origin of forecastle
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a variant spelling of forecastle
fo'c's'le or fo'c'sle
- the part of a vessel at the bow where the crew is quartered and stores, machines, etc, may be stowed
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper