- a fold of membrane that checks or restrains the motion of a part, as the fold on the underside of the tongue.
Origin of frenum
< New Latin; Latin frēnum bridle
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for fraena
Frean, though usually from the Scandinavian name Fraena, is sometimes for Fr.The Romance of Names
- a variant spelling (esp US) of fraenum
- a fold of membrane or skin, such as the fold beneath the tongue, that supports an organ
C18: from Latin: bridle
- A membranous fold of skin or mucous membrane that supports or restricts the movement of a part or organ, such as the small band of tissue connecting the tongue to the floor of the mouth.
- An anatomical structure resembling such a fold.