Frankfort on the Main
- a city in W central Germany, on the Main River.
Frankfort on the Oder
- a city in NE Germany, on the Oder River.
- a small, cooked and smoked sausage of beef or beef and pork, with or without casing; hot dog; wiener.
Origin of frankfurter
- a light brown smoked sausage, made of finely minced pork or beef, often served in a bread roll
- an inhabitant or native of Frankfurt
Word Origin and History for frankfurts
"hot dog," 1894, American English, from German Frankfurter "of Frankfurt," because a smoked-beef-and-pork sausage somewhat like a U.S. hot dog was originally made in Germany, where it was associated with the city of Frankfurt am Main (literally "ford of the Franks on the River Main"). Attested from 1877 as Frankfort sausage.