- (sometimes initial capital letters) a church free from state control.Compare established church.
- (sometimes initial capital letters) a dissenting or nonconforming church.
- (initial capital letters) Also Free Kirk. (in Scotland) the church established by those who left the Church of Scotland in 1843.
Origin of free church
An Americanism dating back to 1825–35
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- mainly British
- any Protestant Church, esp the Presbyterian, other than the Established Church
- (as modifier)Free-Church attitudes
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012