- a descendant of the early French colonists of Canada.
- the language of the French Canadians.
- one of a Canadian breed of small, dark-brown dairy cattle, raised chiefly in Quebec.
Origin of French Canadian
First recorded in 1750–60
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for french canadian
Lemieux is a French-Canadian surname which means “The Best.”Does ‘Ebony’ Magazine Condone Bigotry?
March 28, 2014
At his nationality he could only guess, supposing him to be a Frenchman or a French-Canadian.Murder Point
When Ned said this the French-Canadian voyageur looked up and nodded.Boy Scouts on Hudson Bay
G. Harvey Ralphson
The driver, a French-Canadian turned and displayed an appreciative grin.The Rainy Day Railroad War
And the next morning the old French-Canadian lived true to his promise.
The shadows were falling, and the old French-Canadian walked to the window.
- a Canadian citizen whose native language is French
- of or relating to French Canadians or their language