- to finish or treat (a piece of furniture) with French polish.
Origin of French-polish
First recorded in 1830–40
- a furniture finish, consisting of shellac dissolved in spirits.
Origin of French polish
First recorded in 1810–20
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to treat with French polish or give a French polish (to)
- a varnish for wood consisting of shellac dissolved in alcohol
- the gloss finish produced by repeated applications of this polish
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012