- to act in a foolish or frivolous manner; trifle.
- to waste foolishly (often followed by away): He fribbled away one opportunity after another.
- a foolish or frivolous person; trifler.
- anything trifling or frivolous.
- frivolous; foolish; trifling.
Origin of fribble
First recorded in 1620–30; perhaps alteration of frivol
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for fribbler
Historical Examples of fribbler
He to whom the destiny of the realm is entrusted could scarcely be a fribbler!A Hungarian Nabob
- (tr) to fritter away; waste
- (intr) to act frivolously; trifle
- a wasteful or frivolous person or action
- frivolous; trifling
Word Origin for fribble
C17: of unknown origin
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012