- the maximum depth at which soil is frozen.
- the lower limit of permafrost.
Compare permafrost table.
Origin of frostline
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the deepest point in the ground to which frost will penetrate
- the limit towards the equator beyond which frosts do not occur
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- In regions where there is no permafrost, the maximum depth to which frost penetrates the ground in the winter.
- The lower limit of permafrost.
- In tropical regions, the elevation below which frost never occurs.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.