- a seaport in and the capital of Fujian province, in SE China, opposite Taiwan.
- a province in SE China, opposite Taiwan. 45,845 sq. mi. (118,739 sq. km). Capital: Fuzhou.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Foochow or Fuchou
- a port in SE China, capital of Fujian province on the Min Jiang: one of the original five treaty ports (1842). Pop: 1 398 000 (2005 est)
- a province of SE China: mountainous and forested, drained chiefly by the Min River; noted for the production of flower-scented teas. Capital: Fuzhou. Pop: 34 880 000 (2003 est). Area: 123 000 sq km (47 970 sq miles)
- any of the Chinese dialects of this provinceSee also Min
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012