- the aromatic, medicinal rhizome of certain eastern Asian plants belonging to the genus Alpinia, of the ginger family.
Origin of galangal
variant of galingale
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- another name for galingale
- a zingiberaceous plant, Alpinia officinarum, of China and the East Indies
- the pungent aromatic root of this plant, dried and used as a seasoning and in medicine
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A plant of eastern Asia, having pungent, aromatic rhizomes used as an aromatic stimulant and carminative.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.