[gey-len-i-kuh l, guh-]
- an herb or other vegetable drug, distinguished from a mineral or chemical drug.
- a crude drug, tincture, or decoction, distinguished from a preparation that has been refined.
Origin of galenical
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for galenical
Stoll, amongst moderns, first revived the Galenical doctrines.
- any drug prepared from plant or animal tissue, esp vegetables, rather than being chemically synthesized
- denoting or belonging to this group of drugs
C17: after Galen
- A medicinal preparation composed mainly of herbal or vegetable matter.
- A remedy prepared according to an official formula.
- Of, relating to, or being a medicinal preparation made up chiefly of herbal or vegetable matter.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.