- a neglected girl who is left to run about the streets.
- a diminutive or very slender girl, especially one who is pert, impudent, or playfully mischievous.
- of or like a gamine: a gamine personality; clothes for the gamine figure.
Origin of gamine
Examples from the Web for gamine
Contemporary Examples of gamine
She pointed to Maksymenko, whose delicate, gamine features make her seem especially frail.Ukrainian Women Kidnapped by Russians in Crimea Tell Their Tale
March 24, 2014
They are both posh, pretty, gamine English girls blessed with serious eyebrows and a taste for the high life.
At Givenchy, designer Riccardo Tisci has settled into a house once defined by the gamine aesthetic of Audrey Hepburn.Paris Fall Fashion Week 2012: A Finale at Yves Saint Laurent
March 7, 2012
Historical Examples of gamine
He had not noticed it himself, but seemed to have eyes for nobody but Sidonie, a gamine.Fromont and Risler, Complete
- a slim and boyish girl or young woman; an elfish tomboy
- (as modifier)a gamine style of haircut
Word Origin for gamine
"small, slim, pert young girl," 1899, from French gamine, fem. of gamin.