THIS 5TH GRADE VOCABULARY QUIZ COVERS ALL THE BASICS
Words nearby gassing
Definition for gassing (2 of 2)
noun, plural gas·es or gas·ses.
- Also called gas pedal. the foot-operated accelerator of an automotive vehicle: Take your foot off the gas.
- empty talk.
- a person or thing that is very entertaining, pleasing, or successful: The party was an absolute gas, and we loved it.
- a person or thing that affects one strongly.
verb (used with object), gassed, gas·sing.
- to talk nonsense or falsehood to.
- to amuse or affect strongly: Her weird clothes really gas me.
verb (used without object), gassed, gas·sing.
- to indulge in idle, empty talk.
- to become drunk (often followed by up).
Origin of gas
OTHER WORDS FROM gasgas·less, adjectivenon·gas, noun, plural non·gas·es.
Example sentences from the Web for gassing
Bashar al-Assad is probably the first head of state to have improved his international status by gassing his own people.For Bashar Al-Assad, Crossing Obama's Red Line Was a Win-Win|Anna Momigliano|November 22, 2013|DAILY BEAST
If this gassing is too violent, a considerable amount of active material will be blown from the plates.
Still, I'm not gassing when I tell you I knew all about it before.The Sign of the Spider|Bertram Mitford
As I have told you, he goes and cures people when they are ill, instead of gassing about it.The House of Defence v. 2|E. F. Benson
With constant potential charging, as with constant current charging, the two things to watch are temperature and gassing.
And we have been sitting here, gassing, whilst— He broke off abruptly.The Lady of North Star|Ottwell J. Binns
British Dictionary definitions for gassing (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for gassing (2 of 2)
noun plural gases or gasses
- to increase the speed of a motor vehicle; accelerate
- to hurry
verb gases, gasses, gassing or gassed
Derived forms of gasgasless, adjective
Word Origin for gas
Medical definitions for gassing (1 of 2)
Medical definitions for gassing (2 of 2)
n. pl. gas•es
Scientific definitions for gassing
Other words from gasgaseous adjective (găs′ē-əs, găsh′əs)
Cultural definitions for gassing
Idioms and Phrases with gassing
In addition to the idiom beginning with gas
- gas up
- cook with gas
- run out of steam (gas)