- the alteration, by surgery and hormone treatments, of a person's physical sex characteristics to approximate those of the opposite sex: Born male, she now lives as a woman but has no plans for a sex change.
Origin of sex change
First recorded in 1975–80
Also called sex reassignment, gender reassignment.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- male-to-female or female-to-male transformation involving surgery and hormone treatment
- a change in a person's physical sexual characteristics to those of the opposite sex, often achieved by surgery
- (as modifier)a sex-change operation
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The modification of biological sex characteristics, by surgery and hormone treatment, to approximate those of the opposite sex.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.