- George,1837–1917, U.S. admiral: defeated Spanish fleet in Manila Bay during the Spanish-American War.
- John,1859–1952, U.S. philosopher and educator.
- Mel·vil [mel-vil] /ˈmɛl vɪl/, Melville Louis Kossuth Dewey, 1851–1931, U.S. educator, administrator, and innovator in the field of library science.
- Thomas E(dmund),1902–71, U.S. lawyer and political leader.
- a male given name, form of David.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- John. 1859–1952, US pragmatist philosopher and educator: an exponent of progressivism in education, he formulated an instrumentalist theory of learning through experience. His works include The School and Society (1899), Democracy and Education (1916), and Logic: the Theory of Inquiry (1938)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012