- the branch of medicine dealing with the diseases, debilities, and care of aged persons.
- the study of the physical processes and problems of aging; gerontology.
Origin of geriatrics
- of or relating to geriatrics, old age, or aged persons.
- Slang. an old person.
Origin of geriatric
1925–30; < Greek gér(ōn) old man + iatric
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for geriatricsinfirmity, senior, pensioner, retiree, age, caducity, debility, decrepitude, dotage, feebleness, longevity, senility, seniority, senectitude, senescence, geriatrics, oldness, old-timer, patriarch, oldster
Examples from the Web for geriatrics
Contemporary Examples of geriatrics
The new/old submission seems more like Geriatrics Against Obama.Quit Redefining Conservatism
February 19, 2010
- (functioning as singular) the branch of medical science concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases affecting older peopleCompare gerontology
The term geriatric medicine is often used nowadays in preference to geriatrics
- of or relating to geriatric medicine or to older people
- offensive (of people or machines) old, obsolescent, worn out, or useless
- old-fashioned, offensive an elderly person
- informal, offensive an older person considered as one who may be disregarded as senile or unable to look after his or her own best interests
See also psychogeriatric
Word Origin for geriatric
C20: from Greek gēras old age + iatric
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and problems specific to old age.
- Of or relating to geriatrics.
- Of or relating to old age or to the aging process.
- An old person.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- The branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and conditions of the elderly.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.