- a simple past tense and past participle of gird1.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for girtingencircle, girdle, envelop, beset, gird, environ, compass, enclose, ring, circle, belt, begird, cincture, engirdle
Examples from the Web for girting
Historical Examples of girting
I'm a rowdy cowboy just off the stormy plains, My trade is girting saddles and pulling bridle reins.Cowboy Songs
- a past tense and past participle of gird 1
- nautical moored securely to prevent swinging
- (tr) to bind or encircle; gird
- to measure the girth of (something)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
c.1400 as alternative form of gird; also past tense and past participle of gird.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper