- damned(def 2).
- (especially in the superlative) unusually difficult to deal with; extremely complicated or peculiar.
Origin of goddamned
- (used as an exclamation of any strong feeling, especially of disgust or irritation, and often followed by it.)
- the utterance of “goddamn” in swearing or for emphasis.
- something of negligible value; damn: not to give a good goddamn.
- to curse (someone or something) as being contemptible or worthless; damn.
- to use the word “goddamn”; swear.
Origin of goddamn
Examples from the Web for god-damned
Historical Examples of god-damned
It was so God-damned black you couldn't see your hand in front of you.One Man's Initiation--1917
John Dos Passos
Well, listen here, you God-damned athlete, what are you trying to do?Gladiator
He was through with that game—Hal or any other God-damned fool might have his job for the asking.
In his broken language his invariable appellation for them was "God-damned Hundshne!"Camps, Quarters and Casual Places
It was only because there were so many natural-born God-damned fools in the world that the game could be kept going.
- an oath expressing anger, surprise, etc
- (intensifier)a goddamn fool
Mais, fussent-ils [les anglais] cent mille Goddem de plus qu'a present, ils n'auront pas ce royaume. [Joan of Arc, 1431, quoted in Prosper de Barante's "Histoire des ducs de Bourgogne"]
Goddammes was the nickname given by Puritans to Cavaliers, in consequence of the latter's supposed frequent employment of that oath.