- to coat (base metal) with gold, especially by electroplating.
- to incorporate costly features or refinements into (something) unnecessarily: The engineers were accused of gold-plating the construction project.
- tableware or containers made of gold.
- a plating, especially electroplating, of gold.
Examples from the Web for gold-plate
Historical Examples of gold-plate
"And his gold-plate," continued Merrihew, pleased with the idea.The Lure of the Mask
Just think of this gold-plate fact: no one knows anything about it.The Art of Disappearing
John Talbot Smith
And the work and sweat Dan had gone through to get that permit, to buy it beg it, steal it, gold-plate it.Martyr
Alan Edward Nourse
- (tr) to coat (other metal) with gold, usually by electroplating
- a thin coating of gold, usually produced by electroplating
- vessels or utensils made of gold