- past participle of go1.
- far gone,
- much advanced; deeply involved.
- nearly exhausted; almost worn out.
- dying: The rescue party finally reached the scene of the crash, but most of the survivors were already far gone.
- gone on, Informal. infatuated with; in love with: He is still gone on the woman who jilted him.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for gone ondedicated, faithful, steadfast, zealous, concerned, dear, thoughtful, devout, ardent, staunch, dutiful, doting, loving, caring, true, forceful, avid, warm, vigorous, fanatical
- the past participle of go 1
- ended; past
- lost; ruined (esp in the phrases gone goose or gosling)
- dead or near to death
- spent; consumed; used up
- informal faint or weak
- informal having been pregnant (for a specified time)six months gone
- (usually foll by on) slang in love (with)
- slang in an exhilarated state, as through music or the use of drugs
- gone out informal blank and without comprehension, as if stupefied in surprise
- pastit's gone midnight
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
past participle of go.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
In addition to the idioms beginning with gone
- gone coon, a
- gone goose
- gone with the wind
- a goner
- all gone
- dead and buried (gone)
- far gone
- going, going, gone
- here today, gone tomorrow
- to hell and gone
Also see undergo.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.