- of good or substantial size, amount, etc.: a goodly sum.
- of good or fine appearance.
- Archaic. of a good quality: a goodly gift.
Origin of goodly
Examples from the Web for goodliness
Historical Examples of goodliness
All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field.The Foot-path Way
Seest thou not also what manner of man am I for might and goodliness?Tolstoy
It was a home amid the goodliness and the godliness of nature.
The earth belongeth to Lorraine, and the goodliness thereof.The White Plumes of Navarre
Samuel Rutherford Crockett
The goodliness of this land is one of the things I ache to utter to you, but can't.The Letters of William James, Vol. II
- considerablea goodly amount of money
- obsolete attractive, pleasing, or finea goodly man