- the wife or widow of a grand duke.
- a woman who governs a grand duchy in her own right.
- a daughter of a czar or of a czar's son.
Origin of grand duchess
Examples from the Web for grand duchess
Historical Examples of grand duchess
"Play the dove to your daughter-in-law," quoth the Grand-duchess.Secret Memoirs: The Story of Louise, Crown Princess
Henry W. Fischer
The grand-duchess was absent on a pilgrimage to Berdiczov, in fulfillment of a vow.Told by the Death's Head
As he drew him forth in his promenade, he told him to prepare to be presented to the grand-duchess.The Baron's Sons
In any event, the Grand-Duchess happened to have for music-teacher a good-looking young German who took her fancy.Eden
She virtually ruled these principalities herself, and as Grand-Duchess of Tuscany she enacted the part of a queen.
- the wife or a widow of a grand duke
- a woman who holds the rank of grand duke in her own right