- the sovereign of a territory called a grand duchy, ranking next below a king.
- a son of a czar or of a czar's son.
Origin of grand duke
Examples from the Web for grand duke
Historical Examples of grand duke
Frederick assumed the title of grand-duke on the 5th of September 1856.
The grand-duke had come to demand the Princess of Wirtemberg in marriage.
Her father had been ennobled by the Grand-Duke, and she had been his heiress.Historic Oddities
It was called 'The Grand-duke's hotel,' and was a smart place.My Austrian Love
He saw the Grand-duke advancing, and holding out his hand in a manner the most gracious.Coningsby
- a prince or nobleman who rules a territory, state, or principality
- a son or a male descendant in the male line of a Russian tsar
- a medieval Russian prince who ruled over other princes