- Charles Tomlinson,1884–1920, U.S. composer.
- the offspring of a black and a mulatto.
- a person of mixed black and American Indian ancestry.
- a mulatto, especially a woman.
Origin of griffe1
1715–25, Americanism; < Louisiana French < American Spanish grifo curly-haired
- an ornament at the base of a column, projecting from the torus toward a corner of the plinth.
Origin of griffe2
1870–75; < French: claw < Germanic
Also called spur.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for griffes
The griffes listened to Lacelle, showing their white teeth and smiling at her rage.Latitude 19 degree
Mrs. Schuyler Crowninshield
- architect a carved ornament at the base of a column, often in the form of a claw
C19: from French: claw, of Germanic origin
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012