- to feel about with the hands; feel one's way: I had to grope around in the darkness before I found the light switch.
- to search blindly or uncertainly: He seemed to be groping for an answer to the question.
- to seek by or as if by groping: to grope one's way up the dark stairs.
- to touch or handle (someone) for sexual pleasure.
- an act or instance of groping.
- Slang. an act or instance of sexually fondling another person.
Origin of grope
SynonymsSee more synonyms for grope on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for groped
Kathleen Willey was a White House volunteer who said she was groped by Bill Clinton in the Oval Office in 1993.These Clinton Haters Can’t Quit the Crazy
May 22, 2014
As a result, many of the women “were groped or inappropriately touched during the performance.”It’s Buffalo Jills Vs. Buffalo Bills in Ex-Cheerleaders’ New Lawsuit
April 24, 2014
Just consider how often women are groped in nightclubs, she said.Everyday Sexism Creator Laura Bates on Helping Women Speak Out
April 9, 2013
Dozens of female naval personnel were harassed, groped, and assaulted.Top Ten Military Sex Scandals
November 15, 2012
And so he groped his way toward a narrow ruling that would preserve the health-care law without breaking major legal ground.The Media Man-Crush on John Roberts, Conservative Who Saved Obamacare
July 2, 2012
John groped vainly in mental depths for other experiences likely to illuminate this.Tiverton Tales
Sam groped for Duncan's hand, caught and held it between both his own.The Fortune Hunter
Louis Joseph Vance
Arthur groped his way up the stairs; they were dark too, coming in from the sunshine.The Channings
Mrs. Henry Wood
With these words he groped his way to the door, carrying his chair with him.Barnaby Rudge
Is there a hotel in this”––he groped for a classification––“this city?A Breath of Prairie and other stories
- (intr usually foll by for) to feel or search about uncertainly (for something) with the hands
- (intr; usually foll by for or after) to search uncertainly or with difficulty (for a solution, answer, etc)
- (tr) to find or make (one's way) by groping
- (tr) slang to feel or fondle the body of (someone) for sexual gratification
- the act of groping
Word Origin and History for groped
Old English grapian "to feel about (as one blind or in darkness)," originally "lay hold of, seize, touch, attain," related to gripan "grasp at" (see gripe). Figurative sense is from early 14c. Indecent sense (marked as "obsolete" in OED) is from c.1200. Related: Groped; groping. The noun is Old English grap.