- a drop, or something resembling one.
- Also called drop. Architecture. one of a series of pendent ornaments, generally in the form of a frustum of a cone, attached to the undersides of the mutules of the Doric entablature.
Origin of gutta
1350–1400; Middle English goute, gutta < Latin gutta a drop
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- architect one of a set of small droplike ornaments, esp as used on the architrave of a Doric entablature
- med (formerly used in writing prescriptions) a technical name for drop (def. 2) Abbreviation: gt
C16: from Latin: a drop
- A drop, as of liquid medicine.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.