- to modify (a computer program or electronic device) or write (a program) in a skillful or clever way: Developers have hacked the app.I hacked my tablet to do some very cool things.
- to circumvent security and break into (a network, computer, file, etc.), often with malicious intent: Criminals hacked the bank's servers yesterday.Our cybersecurity team systematically hacks our network to find vulnerabilities.
- to modify a computer program or electronic device in a skillful or clever way: to hack around with HTML;It's pretty easy to hack with scripts.
- to break into a network, computer, file, etc., often with malicious intent: Students tried to hack into their school server to change their grades.
- to take a poor, ineffective, or awkward swing at the ball.
- to play tennis at a mediocre level.
- a piece of code that modifies a computer program in a skillful or clever way: software hacks.
- an act or instance of breaking into a network, computer, file, etc., often with malicious intent (often used attributively): a hack on our system;a recent hack attack.
OTHER WORDS FOR hack
Idioms about hack
Origin of hack1
synonym study for hack
Other definitions for hack (2 of 3)
- a horse kept for common hire or adapted for general work, especially ordinary riding.
- a saddle horse used for transportation, rather than for show, hunting, or the like.
- a taxi.
- Also hackie . a cabdriver.
OTHER WORDS FOR hack
Origin of hack2
Other definitions for hack (3 of 3)
Origin of hack3
How to use hack in a sentence
Google will pay you $1,000 to hack some of Android’s most popular appsOversecured is not yet profitable, but Toshin has also not taken any venture-backed funding to date.Mobile security startup Oversecured launches after self-funding $1 million, thanks to bug bounty payouts|Zack Whittaker|November 12, 2020|TechCrunch
Below are more tips and hacks from Arentzen, Larsen and other experts for staying safe and warm in the great outdoors this winter.Winter camping is not for the faint of heart. Here’s how to do it.|Melanie D.G. Kaplan|November 6, 2020|Washington Post
Part of that significance is that GitHub itself was not actually hacked.GitHub’s source code was leaked on GitHub last night… sort of|Jim Salter|November 5, 2020|Ars Technica
It’s fine to laugh at Rudy Giuliani being set up with a Project Veritas-style sting that shows him doing nothing more than being overly kind to a pretty foreign reporter, because after all, Giuliani has devolved into a Trumpist hack.You should side with Borat’s victims, not mock them|Sonny Bunch|October 30, 2020|Washington Post
Ransomware is a type of hack in which an attacker uses malware to hijack a victim’s system and demands payment before handing back control.A wave of ransomware hits US hospitals as coronavirus spikes|Patrick Howell ONeill|October 29, 2020|MIT Technology Review
Interestingly, The Interview was the one movie that was not stolen and made available online by those who hacked Sony.Inside the ‘Surprisingly Great’ North Korean Hacker Hotel|Michael Daly|December 20, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Then, one warm summer day, Andrew and Abby were found hacked to death more than a dozen times with an ax.Would You Stay in Lizzie Borden’s Ax-Murder House?|Nina Strochlic|October 30, 2014|DAILY BEAST
As with the recent hacked celebrity photos, the victim did not consent to this material being made public.How Could the NFL Not Know About the Brutal Second Ray Rice Tape?|Robert Silverman|September 8, 2014|DAILY BEAST
To call it a “scandal” when yet another celebrity has private nude photos hacked and released is deeply misleading.'The Fappening' and Revenge Porn Culture: Jennifer Lawrence and the Creepshot Epidemic|Amanda Marcotte|September 3, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Most security experts believe individual accounts were hacked, by exploiting password resets, rather than the Apple cloud itself.Downton Star Jessica Brown Findlay Is Latest Sex Tape Hacking Victim|Tom Sykes|September 2, 2014|DAILY BEAST
They did little damage, but hacked and cut the portraits of the King—the poor King who had meant so well by his kingdom.Belgium|George W. T. (George William Thomson) Omond
They hacked a tree down and split it into long sections by means of wedges, in order to get suitable wood for their spear-shafts.The Adventures of Louis de Rougemont|Louis de Rougemont
He visited them daily to see how they throve, and was very angry when he saw, one day, that a favorite tree was badly hacked.The Story of the Thirteen Colonies|H. A. (Hlne Adeline) Guerber
It was in a little case which had been hacked through by knives.Mary Gray|Katharine Tynan
More than fifty, many of them sixty feet long, were hacked to pieces.Celebrated Travels and Travellers|Jules Verne
British Dictionary definitions for hack (1 of 3)
Word Origin for hack
British Dictionary definitions for hack (2 of 3)
- a cab driver
- a taxi