- the calculation of Fourier series and their generalization.
- the study of Fourier series and their generalization.
Origin of harmonic analysis
First recorded in 1865–70
Also called Fourier analysis.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the representation of a periodic function by means of the summation and integration of simple trigonometric functions
- the study of this means of representation
- The study of functions given by a Fourier series or analogous representations, such as periodic functions and functions on topological groups.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.