- the flowering tops and leaves of Indian hemp smoked, chewed, or drunk as a narcotic and intoxicant.
- the dried resinous exudate of the flowering tops of this plant, containing larger amounts of the active ingredient.
Origin of hashish
Examples from the Web for hasheesh
Historical Examples of hasheesh
And the chorus of laughter, which is part and parcel of a hasheesh jag, was tremendous.
But their humour, like the odor and smoke of gunjah, (hasheesh) was become stifling.
It was monstrous, he abhorred it, but could no more resist it than the hasheesh eater his drug.Melomaniacs
I heard to night that Charley Vanderhuyn had been elected president of the Hasheesh.Duffels
The intoxication is pleasant as the effect of opium or hasheesh.The Life and Letters of Lafcadio Hearn, Volume 2
- a purified resinous extract of the dried flower tops of the female hemp plant, used as a hallucinogenicSee also cannabis
- any hallucinogenic substance prepared from this resin
Word Origin for hashish
1590s, from Arabic hashish "powdered hemp," literally "dry herb," from hashsha "it became dry, it dried up."
- A purified resin prepared from the flowering tops of the female cannabis plant and smoked or chewed as a narcotic or an intoxicant.