- coiled or curving like a spiral.
- Geometry. a warped surface generated by a straight line moving so as to cut or touch a fixed helix.
Origin of helicoid
Examples from the Web for helicoidal
Historical Examples of helicoidal
The rock was singularly striated, the scratches arranged concentrically and in helicoidal curves.The Collected Works of Ambrose Bierce
The most interesting application of the helicoidal saw is in the exploitation of quarries.
Some genera with helicoidal shells are related to these coiled forms, viz.
- biology shaped like a spirala helicoid shell
- geometry any surface resembling that of a screw thread
- Arranged in or having the general shape of a flattened coil or spiral.
- Arranged in or having the approximate shape of a flattened coil or spiral curve.
- A surface in the form of a coil or screw. A helicoid is generated mathematically by rotating a plane or twisted curve about an axis at a fixed rate and simultaneously translating it in the direction of the line of axis, also at a fixed rate.